So if you read Monday’s post, you saw that I was planning on making a casserole and watching Beyonce all night on Monday night. Well the recipe I provided you was not very good or healthy looking. So when I went to make it, I made an entirely different kind of casserole. Paula Deen would be devastated at my audacity to call this a casserole, since it doesn’t have any “processed cheese product” , “butter” or “cream” anywhere in it. I swapped in quinoa instead of rice, used greek yogurt instead of cream cheese, you get the idea.
What I did make however, was a really tasty, healthy dish that is going to feed Matt and I for like a week. It is even relatively healthy with the extra protein from the quinoa and the greek yogurt. This would also be great for anyone out there with kids (since I pretty much stick to the pre-k diet, I would know) there are no onions or weird ingredients just good yummy “normal” food. Here is the recipe:
Chicken, Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (if its the condensed kind then thats 3/4 cup of broth and 3/4 cup water)
- 10 oz. can condensed Cream of Broccoli soup
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced fat Cheddar-Jack cheese mix, plus 1/2 cup for topping
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cooked
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken ( I used a whole rotisserie chicken, makes everything easier)
- parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs, for topping
Combine the quinoa and broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 18-20 minutes, until quinoa is light and fluffy and liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool for a bit.
Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, combine the soup, yogurt, milk, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, sugar, and spices. Stir in the cooked quinoa, broccoli, and chicken.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the reserved shredded cheese and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes until golden and bubbly. Let cool slightly before serving